The central objective of transport research under FP7 is to develop safer, greener and smarter transport systems for Europe that will benefit citizens, respect the environment, and increase the competitiveness of European industries in the global market.
While the European transport system has a crucial role in the transportation of people and goods and is essential to Europe’s prosperity, ways must be found to mitigate the negative impacts and consequences of increased mobility in relation to the environment, energy usage, safety and security and public health.
Emphasis will be given to the following activities:
- Aeronautics and air transport
- reduction of emissions, work on engines and alternative fuels,
- air traffic management, safety aspects of air transport,
- environmentally efficient aviation
- Sustainable surface transport – rail, road and waterborne
- development of clean and efficient engines and power trains,
- reducing the impact of transport on climate change,
- inter-modal regional and national transport,
- clean and safe vehicles,
- infrastructure construction and maintenance, integrative architectures