The objectives of the Security theme are:
- to develop technologies and knowledge needed to ensure the security of citizens from threats such as terrorism and (organised) crime, natural disasters and industrial accidents while respecting fundamental human rights;
- to ensure optimal and concerted use of available and evolving technologies to the benefit of civil European security;
- to stimulate the cooperation of providers and users for civil security solutions; improving the competitiveness of the European security industry and delivering mission-oriented results to reduce security gaps.
Security related research is an important building block for supporting European freedom, security and justice. It will also contribute to developing technologies and capabilities in support of other European Community policies in areas such as transport, civil protection, energy, environment and health.
Emphasis will be given to the following activities:
- Increasing the security of citizens – technology solutions for civil protection, bio-security, protection against crime and terrorism;
- Increasing the security of infrastructures and utilities – examining and securing infrastructures in areas such as ICT, transport, energy and services in the financial and administrative domain;
- Intelligent surveillance and border security – technologies, equipment, tools and methods for protecting Europe’s border controls such as land and coastal borders;
- Restoring security and safety in case of crisis – technologies and communication, coordination in support of civil, humanitarian and rescue tasks;
- Improving security systems integration, interconnectivity and interoperability – information gathering for civil security, protection of confidentiality and traceability of transactions;
- Security and society – socio-economic, political and cultural aspects of security, ethics and values, acceptance of security solutions, social environment and perceptions of security;
- Security research coordination and structuring – coordination between European and international security research efforts in the areas of civil, security and defence research.